Third Annual Provo Poetry Contest–Cash Prizes!
Send your short poems to help promote poetry in Utah!
DEADLINE: February 1, 2020
ENTRY FEE: Free to enter.
JUDGE: Star Coulbrooke
Star Coulbrooke is the Inaugural Poet Laureate of Logan City Utah, founder and coordinator of the Helicon West reading series, and director of the Utah State University Writing Center. Star’s poems are published internationally in journals, magazines, and anthologies. Her most recent poetry collections are Thin Spines of Memory, Both Sides from the Middle, and City of Poetry.
- 1st PLACE – $100 cash and an optional feature reading at Speak for Yourself Open Mic at Enliten Bakey and Café in historic downtown Provo
- 2nd PLACE – $50
- 2 HONORABLE MENTIONS: $25 gift certificate for Pioneer Book
- FINALISTS – Up to 10 Finalists will be selected for poems to be displayed during April for Beehive Poetry Month and the Provo Art Stroll on April 3, 2020.
- POEMBALLS: All poems entered into the contest will be considered for inclusion in POEMBALL machines
- Poets must have lived or spent significant time in Utah at some point in their lives.
- Poems must be appropriate for a general audience (rated PG).
- Provo Poetry is an all-inclusive community. Do not send poems with topics/speech related to hate, shaming, or cultural appropriation.
POEM LENGTH: Short poems of about 20 lines or less.
NUMBER OF POEMS: Send up to ten poems as individual attachments in a single email.
EMAIL POEMS: Send a single email with a separate attachment for each poem (up to 10 poems attached separately) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED: Previously published poems are permitted.
WINNERS/FINALISTS: You will be notified via email by April 1, 2020 if one of your poems is a winner or a top-ten finalist.
ACCEPTED POEMS: You will be notified via email if your poems are accepted for inclusion in the POEMBALL machines. POEMBALL machines are located at Pioneer Book and Enliten Bakery and Café in downtown Provo, as well as at KRCL 90.9 FM in Salt Lake City. Poets names will be mentioned on the poems.
Distribution methods may vary. No monetary payment will be provided to poets other than the winners as noted, but please know your contribution is important and appreciated! The key objective of Provo Poetry is to instill the love of poetry within the general community, bring poems to a wider audience, and to support local poets.
UPDATES: For contest updates and other events, please follow us on Facebook or Twitter or via email by entering your email here.
2 thoughts on “Provo Poetry Contest – free to enter, cash prizes! Deadline: Feb. 1, 2020”